The Best Sausage Pizzas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8 slices each)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 batch Best Pizza Dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Grated Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh oregano leaves, optional
- Divide dough in half. With greased fingers, pat each half onto an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 400° until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Spread pizza sauce over crusts. Top with cheese, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and sausage. Bake at 400° until golden brown and cheese is bubbling, 12-15 minutes. If desired, top with grated Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh oregano leaves. Or wrap pizzas and freeze for up to 2 months.
- To use frozen pizzas: Unwrap and place on pizza pans; thaw in the refrigerator. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 344 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Apr 30, 2020
A flavorful pizza with a well-baked crust! We spread some minced garlic on the crust before baking and used a mozzarella-mix for the cheese. You can make the whole pizza a bit spicier by using hotter, spicier sausage. Simple but great recipe.
Feb 29, 2020
We loved it! Simple and delicious. Hearty and satisfying. Great Pizza!
Feb 28, 2020
The amount of sausage and veggies is different here from what was published in the February / March 2020 magazine.
Feb 18, 2020
I left out the mushrooms. This was sooo good and really easy to make.
Feb 17, 2020
Indeed it's the simplest way to make delicious Pizza. I will try it soon and will tell you about my experience. My mouth is watering already. Although I did a bit of work on pizza packaging for business starters. Read it here: https://custompackingsolutions.blogspot.com/2020/02/even-simple-changes-can-make-alluring-custom-pizza-boxes.html
Feb 16, 2020
I enjoyed this pizza very much. I was able to customize it to my taste. My husband loves mushroom and I don't, and I love onion and he doesn't! So I put what we like on each half!
Feb 9, 2020
Quite possibly the worst crust ever. I have just scraped off all the ingredients and pitched the crust. Now going to the grocery store to buy a crust and build another pizza.
Dec 18, 2019
What do the abbreviations for the dough mean??