The Best Sausage Pizzas
What makes this recipe unique is the slow overnight fermentation of the dough. The flour has time to hydrate and relax, which makes the dough so much easier to roll out! —Josh Rink, Taste of Home Photo Stylist
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8 slices each)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 batch Best Pizza Dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Grated Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh oregano leaves, optional
- Divide dough in half. With greased fingers, pat each half onto an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 400° until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Spread pizza sauce over crusts. Top with cheese, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and sausage. Bake at 400° until golden brown and cheese is bubbling, 12-15 minutes. If desired, top with grated Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh oregano leaves. Or wrap pizzas and freeze for up to 2 months.
- To use frozen pizzas: Unwrap and place on pizza pans; thaw in the refrigerator. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.