Master Bread Dough
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages Active Dry or RapidRise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups of flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt. Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120°-130°). Gradually add mixture to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place kneaded dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-60 minutes. (With RapidRise Yeast, cover kneaded dough and let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.) Shape, let rise and bake according to options below:
- LOAF: (use half of dough): Roll dough into a 12x7-in. rectangle. Beginning at short end, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place, seam side down, in greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
- ONION ROLLS: (use half of dough): Divide dough into 10 equal pieces; shape into smooth balls. Place in a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-60 minutes. Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons dried minced onion. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until done, covering with foil during the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Yield: 10 rolls.
- SOFT HERB BREADSTICKS: (use half of dough): Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; roll each into a 15-in. rope. Twist each rope several times if desired. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until risen slightly, about 10-20 minutes. Lightly beat 1 egg white; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle with herbs or herb blends such as oregano, dill weed or Italian herb seasoning. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until done. Remove from sheets; let cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 198 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 1, 2012
easy and great It has worked for everything I have used it for
Oct 21, 2010
I made the soft herb breadsticks for lunch they were great with soup. I brushed some olive oil and sprinkle some garlic powder on the top. Wonderful recipe.
Oct 11, 2010
This is my go-to for pizza crust. Delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.