Favorite Deep-Dish Pizza
My kids love to get pizza delivered. But, it is not very healthy and expensive. I came up with a one bowl pizza that is healthy and allows the kids to add the toppings of their choice. —Sara LaFountain, Rockville, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Fresh oregano leaves and crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large bowl, combine wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add water and oil; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Top with pizza sauce. Place mozzarella slices over sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, oregano and Italian seasoning. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, top with fresh oregano leaves and crushed red pepper flakes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 449 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as My kids favorite deep dish pizza in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012