Tex-Mex Bean Bake with Cornbread Topping
I frequently cooked this dish when I was on the cross-country team in college. We loved this veggie-packed bake so much I would have to make two! For a meaty version, substitute shredded chicken for half of the potato. —Samantha Westveer, Kentwood, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato, onion and peppers; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until potato is cooked halfway through.
- Stir in beans, corn, chilies, salt and cumin; heat through. Stir in broth and cream cheese until blended. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine corn bread mix, egg, milk and pumpkin. Spoon over bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the topping portion comes out clean. To Make Ahead: Can be made a day in advance. Prepare as directed, omitting topping. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Prepare topping and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 310 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Vegetarian Sweet Potato, Pumpkin and Black Bean Bake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.