Taco Cornbread Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups corn chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Optional: Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain. Stir in taco seasoning. Add tomatoes, water, rice and green chiles; heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare cornbread mix according to package directions; stir in corn. Pour half of the batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the meat mixture, all the sour cream, half of the corn chips and 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining batter, remaining meat mixture, olives and remaining corn chips.
- Bake, uncovered, until cornbread is cooked through, 55-60 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake until melted, 3-5 minutes longer. If desired, serve with lettuce, tomatoes and red onion.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 817 calories, 40g fat (17g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 1982mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
Sep 4, 2019
It was very dry. If I make it again maybecutdown on the amount of corn muffin mix.
Jul 31, 2019
We really like this — the sour cr seems to add a lot of flavor and tenderness. Didn’t mind the amt of cornbread. It looked like it was going to overflow my Pyrex 9 x 13 pan but didn’t. Will make it again!
May 6, 2019
This is a keeper recipe, my hubby and daughters family were delighted with dinner as a surprise. It was a little dry,so next time I will change up the cornbread with less of it, or more sauce. Flavor was so good that I'll be making this again.
May 4, 2019
Way to much cornbread
May 3, 2019
This recipe looks fabulous and I can't wait to make it!
Jan 26, 2019
For the love of Hannah!!! PLEASE stop putting corn in all MEXICAN DISHES. When you make tacos, do you open up a can of corn and put it in??????
Aug 31, 2016
Have not made this yet,but plan on it,will have to half the recipe as there is only 2 of us,but love leftovers,green Chile's are not hot but add awesome flavor so I would add more..
Aug 17, 2016
Not a fan. Too much corn bread. Tasted better with addition of salsa, but still not great.
May 3, 2016
It's unusual so I Iike that, but it takes time to do all the steps and reheated as leftovers it's not as good. Also, the cornbread got a little too brown at that baking time..
Mar 23, 2016
I used everyone else's suggestions and they were right on! Less cornbread, more sauce.. Was very good! And water4chocolate must be a stay at home mom! Way too much time on your hands analyzing the math on star reviews... It's not an exact science I'm sure it's guesstimating tool we use... More stars the more likely I am anyway, to try the recipe.. Don't over think things..