Sweet Potato Scones
It’s a sure sign of autumn when Lily Julow whips up these tender, tasty treats for friends in Lawrenceville, Georgia. Served warm, they also make a delicious addition to any special breakfast or brunch, she notes.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, sweet potatoes and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; with lightly floured hands, knead dough 10-12 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 16-21 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 278 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Scones with Cranberry Butter in Light & Tasty October/November 2006