Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt and orange zest. Cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, eggs and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Fill 18 greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 231 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 8, 2019
Prep time for me was 1 1/2 hours. By the time I chopped those slippery little cranberries, zested the orange, squeezed fresh oranges and picked through the pecans I had shelled, I had 1 1/2 hour prep time. I increased sugar by 1/2 cup and wish I had increased by 3/4 cup. I made 11 muffins and one loaf Gretchen 11/8/19
Dec 10, 2018
I sprinkled the top of these with some coarse sugar and they disappeared almost immediately from a church Christmas breakfast!
Oct 23, 2017
These are so good!! I left out the pecans. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out perfectly. I will definitely make them again.
Jan 2, 2017
Made these, delicious and moist, but made a few changes I added 1 cup of sour cream, used half cup brown sugar and half cup granulated sugar, sprinkled oatmeal on top just before baking!
Dec 8, 2015
Jun 29, 2014
I love cranberry and orange flavors together. I followed the recipe exactly and the muffins turned out beautifully. They were everything a muffin should be, fluffy. spicy and delicious.
Nov 25, 2012
Followed recipe...Too much orange flavor...The worst part was the lack of a crown and no color. Won't make again without modifications. Moist and very flavorful. Not what I wanted, though.
Nov 10, 2012
My wife made a subtly different version based on this, read about it here. http://thenuclearfamily.blog.com/2012/11/10/fall-time-cranberry-muffins/
Jun 24, 2012
These are our favorite cranberry muffins.
Apr 21, 2012
Delicious rainy day Spring project. I too, used butter vs. shortening and I used 1/2 brown and white sugar. Prep time was about 1/2 hour for me. Enjoy!