Buttermilk Cranberry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes1-1/2 dozen (about 1-1/4 cups cranberry butter)
- 1 heaping cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- CRANBERRY BUTTER:
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine cranberries with 1/4 cup sugar; set aside. Sift together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Lightly beat together egg, buttermilk and orange juice concentrate. Add egg mixture and sweetened cranberries to dry ingredients, stirring just until well-combined. Spoon batter into 18 buttered muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in muffins comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- For cranberry butter, puree dried cranberries in food processor or blender. Add sugar, butter and lemon juice; process until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin with about 1 tablespoon cranberry butter: 270 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2018
Slightly sweet muffin! Very good, but if you like sweets I suggest adding more sugar! Love the orange and cranberry combo!
Nov 19, 2018
Anything Cranberry YUM!! These are great!!
Dec 10, 2017
An excellent, hearty muffin with a pop of flavor from the fresh cranberries!
Jan 15, 2009
Made the muffins only and wow! They are extremely tasty. I added a dollop of apricot jam in the middle and baked as directed. Would highly recommend. 1/15/2009