Buttermilk Cranberry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes1-1/2 dozen (about 1-1/4 cups cranberry butter)
- 1 heaping cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large Nellie’s Free Range Egg
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- CRANBERRY BUTTER:
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine cranberries with 1/4 cup sugar; set aside. Sift together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Lightly beat together egg, buttermilk and orange juice concentrate. Add egg mixture and sweetened cranberries to dry ingredients, stirring just until well-combined. Spoon batter into 18 buttered muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in muffins comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- For cranberry butter, puree dried cranberries in food processor or blender. Add sugar, butter and lemon juice; process until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin with about 1 tablespoon cranberry butter: 270 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 10, 2017
An excellent, hearty muffin with a pop of flavor from the fresh cranberries!
Jan 15, 2009
Made the muffins only and wow! They are extremely tasty. I added a dollop of apricot jam in the middle and baked as directed. Would highly recommend. 1/15/2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.