Buttermilk Rhubarb Muffins
A cousin in Maine gave me this recipe. I take these slightly tart treats to meetings where lunch is being served and always come home with an empty plate. It's a good way to use up plentiful rhubarb.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- In a large bowl, combine the six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 198 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Muffins in Best of Country Breads
Oct 13, 2013
Easy yummy great recipe
Nov 14, 2010
These muffins were delicious. I was short on rhubarb, so I substituted one cup of peeled, diced apple for 1 cup of rhubarb, and added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Very moist.