Winning Cranberry Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 standard or 6 jumbo muffins
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, quartered
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, optional
- Cinnamon sugar
- Sprinkle cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. Sift remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat egg, milk and oil. Make a hole in center of dry ingredients; pour in liquid ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Add berries and, if desired, lemon zest. Fill 12 greased standard or 6 greased jumbo muffin cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 18 minutes for standard-size muffins or for 22 minutes for jumbo muffins.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 171 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 18, 2020
After reading a bunch of the reviews and tasting the batter before I baked them, I 1 I made some adjustments. I added an extra 3T of brown sugar and 2t of vanilla extract. They turned out really good, but they would've been quite bland without it.
Dec 21, 2019
Tried these out. I have a jumbo muffin pan. Dividing equally gave me regular sized muffins. They do taste heavily of flour. Hearty is not how i would describe them. Good moisture though, considering the thickness of the batter.
Dec 18, 2019
These muffins were terrible. I made them the first time and they were so heavy and flavorless that I thought I had done something wrong so I made another batch and they turned out exactly the same. You could actually taste the flour
Dec 15, 2019
Not a typical muffin at all. They're heavy, lack sweetness and flavour. I followed the recipe exactly including lemon zest. Won't make them again.
Jun 21, 2019
Perfectly moist, scrumptious muffins! Just the right amount of sweetness, and easy to make. I've used reconstituted dried cranberries, even fresh blueberries. I once used 2% milk in a pinch and they still turned out okay, but I'd definitely recommend the whole milk - really takes it up a notch. The lemon zest is another really nice touch. The whole family approves. So happy I found this recipe!
Dec 29, 2018
Delicious! Love that they are not overly sweet. I added a crumb topping so it balanced them perfectly. The fresh cranberries are a must for the tartness! Make these??
Nov 22, 2018
These are terrific! I used my immersion blender in quick little bursts to chop the cranberries---that way some were crushed, some were left whole, some were minced. Decorated the top of the muffins with coarse sugar and they were so pretty, and perfect for a breakfast treat or with tea. Thank you!
Apr 30, 2018
Good...would make again.
Jan 3, 2018
Easy delicious muffins, I used frozen cranberries and they turned out great. Just as other reviewers said, they aren't too sweet perfect for breakfast
Dec 1, 2017
Seriously delicious! Followed the recipe and oh boy, this is a fabulous muffin!