Winning Cranberry Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 standard or 6 jumbo muffins
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, quartered
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, optional
- Cinnamon sugar
- Sprinkle cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. Sift remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat egg, milk and oil. Make a hole in center of dry ingredients; pour in liquid ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Add berries and, if desired, lemon zest. Fill 12 greased standard or 6 greased jumbo muffin cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 18 minutes for standard-size muffins or for 22 minutes for jumbo muffins.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 171 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 29, 2018
Delicious! Love that they are not overly sweet. I added a crumb topping so it balanced them perfectly. The fresh cranberries are a must for the tartness! Make these??
Nov 22, 2018
These are terrific! I used my immersion blender in quick little bursts to chop the cranberries---that way some were crushed, some were left whole, some were minced. Decorated the top of the muffins with coarse sugar and they were so pretty, and perfect for a breakfast treat or with tea. Thank you!
Apr 30, 2018
Good...would make again.
Jan 3, 2018
Easy delicious muffins, I used frozen cranberries and they turned out great. Just as other reviewers said, they aren't too sweet perfect for breakfast
Dec 1, 2017
Seriously delicious! Followed the recipe and oh boy, this is a fabulous muffin!
Dec 13, 2016
My boys made these muffins for me that I took to a meeting and they were devoured. Very well received and the compliments were, "not too sweet", "very moist" and "I love the fresh cranberries". I will say I only got 11 muffins. No way I would have gotten 12. Perfect for the season, though.
Mar 30, 2015
The muffins are not sweet. I feel like they are missing something to give it more moisture. Not sure if I would make again. I may try them again with butter instead of oil.
Sep 3, 2014
Good muffins. Not overly sweet so don't expect a cupcake. :) Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack!I followed the recipe to a T, with the exception of using reconstituted dried cranberries (by soaking for 20 minutes in hot water).
Jun 28, 2014
Love this recipe but made some changes. Omitted the lemon zest. Didn't have milk so used sour cream instead. Added a teaspoon of orange extract and a handful of chopped pecans. Used a crumb topping instead of the cinnamon sugar. Fabulous!
Mar 27, 2014
Excellent recipe. I used frozen cranberries instead of fresh ones. They turned out beautifully - light, moist and delicious. This is definitely a winning recipe. It?s a keeper.