Winning Cranberry Date Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries and dates. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring often. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until crumbly. Press half into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Spoon cranberry mixture over the crust; spread gently. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; pat down gently.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Aug 27, 2017
These bars are awesome!!
May 25, 2015
Very good - will definitely make again.
Dec 14, 2013
These are easily my newest, favoritest Christmas recipe--ever. And here is why: when you snack on sweet treats, they are yummy and soothing. You expect that from sweet, homemade treats. Then you bite into one of these bad boys. Hello--they smack you right between the eyes with tartness, sweetness, then tartness again. Your mouth instantly salivates and galvanizes you from a grazer of seasonal sweetness to shocked silence as you decide if they are too sweet or too tart or too ?? I loved the looks on co-workers faces when they had to think whether they liked them or not. And they all LOVED them.Just to add to what others have said-do NOT add any water to the dates/cranberries. The consistency needs to be like buttering bread. Smooth it over the cooked bottom crust and crumble the rest of the topping. I didn't think there would be enough dough, but there was..Thanks again for this awesome recipe. I will NOT be sharing it with anyone.. My precious...
Dec 30, 2011
I HAVEN'T TRIED THIS RECIPE BUT I WILL. ABOUT THE CRANBERRIES AND DATES COOKING WITHOUT WATER. YES YOU CAN BUT YOU WANT TO KEEP THE FIRE UNDER THEM LOW UNTIL THE CRANBERRIES START TO POP TO GIVE THE MOISTURE. I COOK CRANBERRIES WITHOUT WATER ALL THE TIME.
Apr 12, 2011
To the question about cooking the cranberries and dates without water--it works. The cranberries start to pop as they cook with the dates and it makes a thick, yet moist paste. You do not need any water! Trust the recipe-it is amazing!
Apr 12, 2011
These are absolutely fabulous! I have been baking these delectable bars ever since they first appeared in Country magazine back in 1998. They are a family tradition at both Christmas and Thanksgiving and EVERYONE who tastes them asks for the recipe. This is a keeper!
Dec 2, 2010
How can you cook fresh cranberries and dates without any water? How much water to cook?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.