Cranberry Shortbread Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, coconut and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Spread remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugars and cornstarch. Stir in cranberries and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in walnuts.
- Spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with white chocolate. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 12, 2015
Delicious! I made exactly as written and served them for dessert for a family dinner.
Aug 25, 2013
If I was going to make these again, I would not include the nuts. Otherwise, these were easy and tasty!
Dec 3, 2011
The crust burned on these bars, and the filling baked quicker than the amount of time listed on the recipe and got overdone around the edges. I used a metal cake pan. Perhaps using a glass casserole dish would prevent burning. Any suggestions?
Dec 22, 2010
excellent bar in presentation as well as taste! I did make a few adjustments- instead of 1 cup of walnuts, I used 1/2 cup and added 1 tsp. ground cinnamon to the sugar-applesauce mixture to cook on the stovetop. I also reduced the oven temp. to 400 degrees. These are delicious!
Nov 28, 2010
Just the right amount of sweet / tart. These were so good, I skipped the walnuts for taste preference, but they weren't really needed.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.