Chocolate & Cardamom Coconut Tart
This holiday-worthy tart with a cardamom-scented crust is my nod to our family’s Scandinavian heritage. The filling is rich in all the right ways, with coconut, cranberries and chocolate. —Carole Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, divided
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- Preheat oven to 325°. Cream butter, sugar and 2 teaspoons orange zest until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add flour and cardamom, mixing well. Refrigerate dough 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pulse pistachios in a food processor until finely chopped; remove. Repeat with cranberries. Mix together 1/3 cup pistachios, cranberries, coconut, 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips and milk.
- Press half the dough onto bottom and 1/4 in. up sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Spread pistachio mixture over dough. Between sheets of waxed paper, roll remaining dough into a 9-in. circle. Remove top sheet of paper. Gently flip dough and place over pistachio filling; remove remaining paper. Press dough around edge to seal. Place pan on a 15x10-in. rimmed baking pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; cool completely. Remove rim from pan. Microwave white baking chips on high until melted, stirring every 30 seconds; remove. Repeat with remaining bittersweet chips. Drizzle tart with white and bittersweet melted chocolate. Sprinkle with remaining pistachios and orange zest.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked tart. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 325°. Place tart on a baking sheet; cover edge loosely with foil. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary. Cool and top as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 449 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate & Cardamom Coconut Tart in Taste of Home December 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.