Candy Cane Shortbread Bars
I created these bars for my daughter, who loves peppermint. The buttery shortbread texture just melts in your mouth. It’s a hit wherever I take it. —Susan Ciuffreda, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 9 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 3/4 cup crushed candy canes (about 10 regular)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Press evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 16-19 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine buttercream ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over shortbread. Carefully spread white chocolate over top. Sprinkle with candy canes; let stand until set.
- Lifting with parchment paper, remove shortbread from pan. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 265 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Peppermint Blondie Bars in Taste of Home November 2014