Classic Candy Cane Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Red paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla; gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; mix food coloring into 1 half. Roll each dough portion into a 6-in. square. Wrap each in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each dough into 36 squares. Working with a quarter of the dough at a time, keep remaining dough refrigerated. Roll 1 piece of plain dough into a 6-in. rope; roll 1 piece of red dough into a 6-in. rope. Place ropes side by side. Lift left rope over the right; repeat to form a twist. Repeat with remaining dough. Curving top of each twist to form hook of cane, place 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 90 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 23, 2017
I have to agree with the previous comment: They are very time consuming. A helpful tip: Form the refrigerated dough into 12" x 3" rectangle then cut in to 36 squares this step was omitted from the instructions. I make a mistake and substituted the butter with coconut oil to make a healthier cookie but it made it very difficult to roll out the 6" pieces. too oily I ended up just squishing it in to the rope shape then flopped the colored ropes to entwine them. They are tastey but maybe because I added peppermint extract and crushed peppermint candies to the dough.
Dec 11, 2015
Cute,Good, but way to time consuming. Wrapped about a dozen then just pressed and cut the rest.