Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint or spearmint extract
- 6 drops red or green food coloring
- Grease two baking sheets with butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Immediately pour onto prepared pans in eight 8-in. strips. Let stand just until cool enough to handle, about 1-2 minutes.
- Working quickly, roll each strip into a 10-in. log. Cut each into two 5-in. lengths. Curve the top of each to form the handle of a cane. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
1 candy cane : 110 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 14mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.