Candy Cane Chocolate Mini Loaves
Having a bunch of leftover candy canes after the holidays inspired me to use them up by adding them to a chocolate bread. Coffee and cocoa intensify the flavor. —Shelly Platten, Amherst, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes8 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat eight 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites, eggs, coffee, yogurt, oil and extracts until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to brown sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Drizzle melted white baking chocolate over loaves. Sprinkle with crushed candies.