Candy Cane Chocolate Mini Loaves
Having a bunch of leftover candy canes after the holidays inspired me to use them up by adding them to a chocolate bread. Coffee and cocoa intensify the flavor. —Shelly Platten, Amherst, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes8 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat eight 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites, eggs, coffee, yogurt, oil and extracts until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to brown sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Drizzle melted white baking chocolate over loaves. Sprinkle with crushed candies.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 122 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Candy Cane Loaves in Taste of Home December 2018