Chocolate Chai Mini Loaves
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes3 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chai tea latte mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chai tea latte mix
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 teaspoons whole milk
- In a microwave, melt chocolate with the water; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, then chocolate mixture.
- Combine the flour, latte mix, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Transfer to three greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, latte mix, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost tops of loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 208 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 24, 2014
I happened to see this recipe and loved the idea of chocolate and chai together. I didn't have all the ingredients at hand, but I did have a boxed chocolate cake mix (the kind with pudding in the mix) and decided to use this instead. I don't know what the homemade one would taste like, but this was fabulous. I had instant chai latte mix and added this to the boxed mix and it came out great. Also did the same thing to a container of vanilla cream frosting, added the instant chai tea mix and used an electric hand mixer to bring it to a fluffy consistency. Next time, I'll make sure I have the ingredients to make it like the original recipe calls for.
Dec 15, 2012
Jan 14, 2012
Made three excellent mini loaves. Frosting is amazing. Have to make sure the latte mix dissolves fully in the frosting or it can be gritty. I used Oregon Chai Tea Latte mix which came in individual servings and one packet was perfect for one batch.
Oct 25, 2011
I make one regular loaf. My family loved it.I found the chai tea at our local market, but it was alot cheaper at Trader Joes ($2.99 in So. Ca.). I will use the frosting on many more cakes, cupcakes etc. It was wonderful!
Jul 7, 2011
If you have trouble finding the chai tea latte mix, you could make the mix yourself with the Spiced Chai Mix recipe from Taste of Home. https://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Spiced-Chai-MixTaste of Home Test Kitchen
Jun 14, 2011
Very Delicious. I also thought it was more cake-like than bread so I made 24 cupcakes instead. I suggest doubling the frosting recipe if you do cupcakes. They turned out great and were a hit at work. I will be making these again for sure.
Jun 10, 2011
Found this magazine at a garage sale, and decided to try them.. my daughter says they are VERY close to her grandmas favorite chocolate cake!
Feb 10, 2011
Definitely more of a cake than bread. I did not think it had enough chai flavor. As chocolate cake it had great flavor and nice crumb. I will keep looking for a bread recipe. Did make 4 mini-loaves.
Jan 28, 2011
Made 28 for Christmas gifts for employees, teachers and friends. Great recipe because it makes 3 mini loaves. Taste is outstanding and a bit exotic due to the chai tea mix. LOVE IT
Dec 19, 2010
Loved it! Smelled so heavenly while baking! Love chai and chocolate, so this was a perfect combo for me!