Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of batter into each greased or paper-lined mini-muffin cup. Bake at 375° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 10-13 minutes. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 110 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 11, 2020
These are so easy and SO yummy! I was skeptical of this shortening-based recipe but I’ll definitely be making it again. I always over mix muffin batter but these are foolproof- delicious and fluffy. Note that the yield is much lower than stated in the recipe. I tripled the recipe and got 24 minis (1 scoop batter) and 12 regular size muffins (2 scoops batter).
May 19, 2019
Such an easy recipe and I love that I don't have to wait for butter to soften since it uses shortening. The recipe says to serve warm but they are just as delicious at room temperature. I made these to send it to teachers at school and they loved them. I got 2 1/2 dozen. Definitely a keeper, though I may sprinkle a little sugar on top next time before baking.
Feb 25, 2017
Just made these for breakfast and they were yummy! They were quick and easy, and will definitely make these again.
Jun 4, 2016
My son was waiting in line 20 mins at school to get mini muffins in a bag. I told him that I would make some at home for him to bring into school, so he didn't waste his before-school social time standing in line. These were simple and tasty and I'll definitely be making them again. I only got 2 dozen in my PC mini muffin pan.
Feb 6, 2014
Good, just doesn't make too many. Should double it.
Dec 6, 2013
Like mini muffins for church coffee time. These were quit delicious. I did add 1/2 cup sour cream and they were very moist. Will make again.
Aug 31, 2013
These little muffins are so delicious!! They're easy to make. I always have all the ingredients on hand. Plus everyone can't wait till they come out of the oven!
Jun 15, 2013
These muffins are soft and springy. Just don't use butter flavored Crisco as the shortening. Left a weird taste. But the muffin acted like store bought.
Jul 10, 2010
made these the other day...reduced the amount of mini-chips to 1/2 c...got 2 1/2 dozen yield using level T. per muffin...
Oct 10, 2009
These were very yummy. My family gobbled them up. Next time I will have to make a double batch.