Macadamia Nut Mini Loaves
While these loaves may be small, they have a big rich flavor. The macadamia nuts make them a special treat with tropical flair. Plus, they're so pretty with the toasted coconut topping. —Kim Gilliland, Simi Valley, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 jar (3-1/2 ounces) macadamia nuts, divided
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Finely chop enough of the macadamia nuts to measure 1/3 cup; set aside. Coarsely chop remaining nuts; toss with coconut and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and reserved finely chopped nuts.
- Spoon into five greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with reserved coconut mixture. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Editor's Note: If top begins to brown too quickly, cover loosely with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 162 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Macadamia Nut Mini Loaves in Country Woman Christmas 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.