Chocolate Chip Scones
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine egg and cream; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Cut dough into 6 wedges. Separate wedges and place 1 in. on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 241 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 5, 2019
These were so quick and simple to make! You definitely could use any flavor chips you like, or even dried fruit. I'd have loved some chopped dried cherries mixed in along with the chips, but my my guys wouldn't have. Next time I'll make a batch just for myself that way. These were perfect with a cup of tea, and made great after school snacks too.
Feb 12, 2019
I just took these out of the oven ..... I used sour cream instead of heavy cream (because that's what I had on hand....) and I added some cinnamon to the dough because I love the combination of cinnamon and chocolate ..... just took a bite and I must say.... these scones are delicious!!! Quick and easy to make .....perfect for when I'm craving sweets and chocolate..... not quite as "damaging" as chocolate chip cookies!!! I also brushed each with half and half and coated with decorative sanding sugar before baking.... beautiful sparkling little scones!! ...... Five stars for sure!!
Feb 10, 2019
I have been making these scones ever since this was first published. I always substitute sour cream for the whipping cream and add dried crancherries for a little bit of tartness with the chocolate. I also brush the tops with a little milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. I love the sparkle and crunch it adds.
Jan 3, 2016
Great recipe. I used half and half as I didn't have whipping cream and I used more than 3 tablespoons as the batter was just too dry. It only made 4 but this was just perfect for daughter and me.
Oct 14, 2014
These are so simple and completely perfect! I replaced the chips with blueberries and they were awesome. I don't need another scone recipe!
Mar 5, 2014
Apr 11, 2013
This is my go-to recipe for scones. They're always perfect.
Jan 23, 2011
I added 1/4 cup toasted almonds and 1/2 tsp. almond extract which made them BEST!
Jul 12, 2010
My son made these for a 4-H fair and got a blue ribbon and an Award of Merit on them. We will definitely make these again.