Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, egg, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 161 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 20, 2019
These were a huge hit in our house. I filled the muffin tins almost full and got 24 muffins. They are nice and moist thanks to the apple sauce. I topped with a few chocolate chips as soon as I removed from the pan and my daughters spread the chocolate to make a frosting (once the chips softened). Very easy to stir together. Will definitely make again!
Jun 1, 2015
I thought these were fairly sweet, even with the "sneaky" healthy ingredients. My daughter thought they needed a little more flavor. I topped hers with store bought vanilla icing and she loved them!
Nov 19, 2012
These were delicious! I ate one for dessert and heated it lightly in the microwave until the chocolate chips were gooey. Excellent muffins! (They freeze well too).
Aug 5, 2012
Yummy! This reminds me of a wonderful bed and breakfast that served these warm, softly melting and chocolately delicious. I make extra and freeze them. Plus, I add extra chocolate chips on top as the cool off.
May 15, 2011
Turned out really moist, and I love the fact that they're healthy. Made them for my boyfriend (who isn't exactly a health food advocate) and he loved them! Definitely will make again.
May 3, 2011
Delicious!! We love these...they are easy to make and freeze well.
Mar 5, 2011
Excellent receipe. My Grandchildren love them and they don't like much. Especially since it has applesauce and wheat flour in it but they don,t know it has some good stuff in it. They just know it tastes good! Thanks to the gal in Wyoming!
Oct 23, 2008
These are so good - and much healthier than other muffins.