Cherry Cream Scones
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- Additional sugar
- Soak cherries in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, sour cream, cream and extract. Add to flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently six to eight times. Knead in cherries.
- Divide dough in half and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a 6-in. circle. Cut into six wedges. Repeat with remaining ball. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Beat the egg white until foamy; brush tops of scones and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 268 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 29, 2018
We love these scones. They always bake up light and fluffy, with great cherry flavor. The only change I make is to sprinkle the tops with sanding sugar for a nice crunch
Dec 26, 2017
These delicious scones are easy to prepare. I plan on making these on New Years Day, plus a few more selections from TOH
Jul 5, 2012
They are nice and soft and tender on the inside with a light and flaky crust.
Sep 30, 2011
These are the best - my mom has used this recipe for years. Now I make them & they are always a big hit. The hardest part is not eating too many!!!
Jan 25, 2011
This is a fantastic recipe. I've made it as instructed in the directions and also with whole grain wheat and oat flour and they still turn out great.
May 29, 2010
I have made these scones many times over the years - they are always good. I've even modified when I was out of sour cream or half & half - they still turn out delicious. Like another review said - they are alway moist and delicious!
May 4, 2010
Made these for a church breakfast/brunch and everyone said these were the best scones they had ever tasted, moist and delicious. I have made them many times over now and everyone still comments on how good they are.
Sep 21, 2009
I made several varieties of scones for a tea I was helping cater. These were the best!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.