Cinnamon Chip Scones
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 package (10 ounces) cinnamon baking chips
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in chips.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10-12 times or until dough is no longer sticky. Divide in half; gently pat or roll each portion into a 7-in. circle. Brush with butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Cut each circle into six wedges. Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 406 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 30, 2019
Has Anyone tried making these without the cinnamon chips but with a cinnamon streusel throughout? I can't get cinnamon chips today and I'd like to make Cinnamon Scones for our trip down South. Suggestions???
Apr 13, 2019
I didn't know they made cinnamon chips. I usually use butterscotch which would be good too.
Nov 15, 2018
Easy and delicious!
May 24, 2018
These were absolutely outstanding. I had cinnamon chips on hand from a recipe that only called for a few tablespoons. I could never figute out how to get rid of the remaining chips. The scones baked up high, moist with a great texture. Ok, the rest of the story is I only was able to eat one last night after I made them to have with morning coffee. Unfortunately, my yellow lab ate the reamining 11 scones when I forgot to hide them from her. NOW , I cannot find more cinnamon chips in any stores near me!!
Mar 3, 2018
These are easy to make but I always double the recipe or half the chips. They have been a hit at work for years. For the topping I use cinnamon sugar instead of just sugar as I love cinnamon. I live outside of North America but when I visit I have to order the chips through Amazon because they are unavailable at most stores in the US and Canada.
Oct 7, 2017
These are great. I do not put sugar on them before the oven. Just brush with the butter. Added a glaze; 1C powdered sugar, 1 t cinnamon, 1/2 t espresso powder add milk to achieve heavy drizzle consistency and drizzle over scones after they've cooled a bit
Feb 11, 2017
Very good recipe. I used tiny chocolate chips. Next time I will use fruit . Easy and adaptable.
Jan 27, 2017
These are amazing! Very easy to make and delicious. I agree that it's a bit heavy on the cinnamon chips.
Sep 9, 2016
These came out wonderfully! I didn't have buttermilk so I used the substitution trick - put 1 Tbsp. of vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and enough milk to get one cup. Let it sit for 5 minutes and you have an excellent buttermilk substitute. My experience with scones has been hit or miss, but this is a great recipe. I also decided to just use my hands to mix everything from beginning to end and I think it really helped me. Will definitely make again.
Feb 8, 2016
Excellent recipe--delicious and easy! I added a powdered sugar glaze, but I'm not sure they needed it. Great way to use up an abundance of cinnamon chips I had on hand.