The addition of onions gives these scones a nice bite. You can even stir in some basil or oregano if you like. —Jolie Stinson, Marion, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cheese, baking powder and salt. Stir in cream just until moistened. Stir in onion mixture.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into a 6-in. circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with additional cheese in last 5 minutes of baking. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 378 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 551mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Italian Scones in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.