Caramel Apple Scones
A drizzle of caramel complements the apple and whole wheat flavors of these rustic-looking scones. —Arlene Cook, Bainbridge, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1 tablespoon caramel ice cream topping
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk and vanilla; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in apple. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into a 5-in. circle. Cut into 4 wedges. Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with caramel topping.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 278 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Scone in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008