Caramel Apple Scones
A drizzle of caramel complements the apple and whole wheat flavors of these rustic-looking scones. —Arlene Cook, Bainbridge, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1 tablespoon caramel ice cream topping
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk and vanilla; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in apple. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into a 5-in. circle. Cut into four wedges. Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with caramel topping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 278 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Scone in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.