Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in dates. Combine eggs and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until blended (dough will be soft).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead dough 10 times. Pat into a 9-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Using a floured knife, cut into six 3-in. squares; cut each square diagonally in half.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over scones.
- Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm.
1 each: 178 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.