Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together first five ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips and hazelnuts.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently eight times. Pat dough into a 6-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges; place on a greased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 409 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Jun 20, 2019
Oh. Yum. No adjustments necessary for these delicious scones. As always, best eaten while they are freshly baked. One thing I will point out is that the dough is very sticky, so rather than using more flour to knead it and therefore changing its beautiful texture, I'll finish mixing it in the bowl (scones do best when they aren't overly handled) and then turn it straight onto a lined baking sheet for a quick shaping and cutting into wedges. Will definitely make again!