Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones
Chocolate, hazelnuts and the tangy taste of buttermilk —these delicious scones are easy to make, come together fast, and taste so good with your morning coffee. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together first five ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips and hazelnuts.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently eight times. Pat dough into a 6-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges; place on a greased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 409 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.