Hazelnut Madeleine Cookies
As an appropriate dessert for a beach picnic, our home economists came up with these cookies, which bake in a shell-shaped Madeleine pan.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a food processor, combine the hazelnuts and confectioners' sugar; cover and process until nuts are finely chopped. Set aside. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. Brush two Madeleine pans with butter. Dust with 2 tablespoons flour; tap pans to remove excess flour and set aside. Place remaining butter in a saucepan. Melt over low heat for 4-5 minutes or until a light amber color; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and a pale lemon color. Stir in melted butter and vanilla. Combine the baking powder, salt and remaining flour; stir into butter mixture just until combined. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Gently fold in reserved nut mixture.
- With a tablespoon, fill prepared pans two-thirds full. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before inverting pans onto wire racks to remove cookies. Cool completely. Lightly dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired.
Editor's Note: Madeleine pans can be ordered from Sweet Celebrations. Call 1-800/328-6722 or visit their Web site, www.sweetc.com. They are also available from Williams-Sonoma. Call 1-877/812-6235 or visit their Web site, www.williams-sonoma.com.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 103 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Hazelnut Madeleine Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.