Chocolate Quick Bread
My husband and I both enjoy cooking, but the baking is left to me. Our sons loved this chocolaty quick bread when they were little...and still do as grownups!—Melissa Mitchell-Wilson, Wichita, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add buttermilk; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 214 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Buttermilk Chocolate Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.