Cranberry Date Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cranberries, dates and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until berries pop, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir in melted butter. Press half of the mixture into an ungreased 13x9-in. pan. Bake 8 minutes.
- Spoon cranberry mixture over crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture; pat down gently. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix glaze ingredients. Drizzle over top.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 339 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 28, 2017
I started making this recipe 2 yrs ago it is delicious and a huge hit with family and friends
Jun 23, 2017
This recipe is perfect for the holiday season. I love the combination of flavors.
Dec 7, 2014
Way too sweet. Mine did not look attractive like the picture. No way yield would be 36 as stated.
Jan 28, 2014
These bars are delicious! I questioned adding only 2 T of water, but it was enough. I sprinkled some coconut atop the cranberry date mixture before adding the remaining of the oat mixture. I halved the amount of glaze and it was fine with less sugar.
Dec 4, 2012
My husband loves these! I add about a 1/4 cup orange instead of water to the cranberries and dates. Works great.
Dec 23, 2011
So good! I've made this many times and it always goes over great!
Nov 25, 2011
These have been a hit in our family of seven. Everyone who tastes these asks me for the recipe! The combination of dates and fresh cranberries is just perfect and the topping is amazing!! My kids say their favorite part is the crumble topping which I double when making this recipe. It is also great on cobblers! I have given this recipe out countless times and am often asked to bring this to potlucks--it is a winner!!!
May 5, 2011
Yummy! My cranberried did not pop after 15 minutes on low, however...had turn up to medium to get the mixture nice & goopy. I baked in an 11x7 pan and they turned out great!~ Theresa
Sep 6, 2010
I like the sweet tart mixture of these bars
Oct 26, 2009
Everyone loved these bars. It is sweet. I used 1-1/4 cups brown sugar and cut the recipe for the glaze in half and it was perfect.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.