My mother has had this recipe for years. I love it! These bars make great snacks, but can also be served for dessert. —Margaret Adelman, Bellingham, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 large unpeeled oranges, cut into quarters and seeded
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- Grind cranberries and oranges (including peel). Set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Add ground fruit; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in nuts if desired. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, for crust, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and lemon zest. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Pat two-thirds of dough into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover with cranberry-orange mixture. Crumble remaining dough on top. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack; cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 207 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry-Orange Bars in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.