Banana Orange Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ORANGE BUTTER FROSTING:
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, beat the bananas, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in orange juice and zest until smooth; spread evenly over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 374 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 8, 2013
Made these and they were a hit! I actually substituted equivalent coconut oil for the canola and only used 4 cups of powdered sugar for the frosting (because I ran out!) and they turned out great! Will be making these again soon!
Mar 2, 2012
These are wonderful! I followed the recipe and they looked like the photo and are delicious! I wasn't sure about the banana/orange combination but the orange flavor inthe frosting was light and just enough to complement the banana cake. And, oh, the cake - love the texture and the cinnamon is perfect.
Jul 17, 2011
Okay, I didn't get as far as making the frosting, but the cake by itself is wonderful! I didn't have the right size pan, so I baked the batter in a 9x13 for about 40 minutes and it was simply delicious. Even my husband (who doesn't care for bananas much) agreed this was a keeper. And, a great way to eat it is a la mode with butter pecan ice cream. Mm-mmm!
May 21, 2011
Easy and delicious! Everyone loved them!
Apr 1, 2011
Simply wonderful. The banana flavor came through real well. The only thing I did different is add 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract as I am a stickler for this ingredient in every baked bar/cookie I make. This makes a big batch, but they went fast. I highly recommend it.