Banana Split Cake Bars
Summer isn’t summer without a banana split or two, and these fun bars bring that same delicious flavor in potluck-perfect form. —Jasey McBurnett, Rock Springs, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (10 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- Optional: Chopped salted peanuts, sliced ripe banana or dried banana chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in bananas, sour cream and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Top cake with cherries, chocolate chips, marshmallows and, if desired, peanuts. Bake until chips are slightly melted and marshmallows puff, 3-5 minutes longer. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack; cut into bars. If desired, top with sliced ripe bananas or banana chips before serving.
Test Kitchen Tip
These bars are chock-full of amazing toppings making them a bit tricky to cut neatly. Plan to eat them with a fork to scoop up all the goodness that falls off.