Roasted Strawberry Sheet Cake
My Grandma Gigi loved summer berry cakes. Almost any time I’d call her during the warmer months, she’d invite me over to taste her latest masterpiece. This cake is an ode to her. —Kristin Bowers, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 4 pounds halved fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place strawberries on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar and toss to coat. Bake until just tender, 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition (batter may appear curdled).
- Transfer to prepared pan. Top with 3 cups roasted strawberries; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Reserve remaining strawberries for serving. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Serve with reserved roasted strawberries.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 235 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 329mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Strawberry Summer Sheet Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.