Crumb-Topped Strawberry Coffee Cake
"With two busy children, I like to have recipes that get me out of the kitchen fast," notes Rose Palsgrove of Piqua, Ohio. "Our neighboring town hosts a strawberry festival every June, so strawberry recipes are popular in our area. This one is simple and delicious. Serve it warm.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with strawberries.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans if desired; sprinkle over strawberries.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 254 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 2003
May 18, 2019
Delicious and easy to make....Can you use frozen strawberries in this recipe?
May 18, 2011
I thought it was just okay.
Jan 15, 2011
This is part of my repetoir that I could not be without.