Crumb-Topped Blueberry Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- For batter, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Toss blueberries with remaining flour. Stir blueberries and cream cheese into creamed mixture (batter will be thick). Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 277 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 23, 2018
Love this recipe I have made this since first published. I add vanilla to the batter, use 1/3 less fat cream cheese and add freshly grated nutmeg to the topping - because I love nutmeg. This is one of my go to recipes if I can’t think of anything else.
Feb 3, 2018
I just made this!! It is Delicious!!! I Love ?? it!!! Turned out fabulous!!!! Highly recommend!!!
Jul 6, 2016
This was a nice quick dessert. I had a lot of fresh blueberries and wanted something different than a cobbler. Everyone loved this.
May 2, 2016
Made this for brunch yesterday-it was delicious! Everyone loved it. I doubled the crumb topping, and tossed the cream cheese cubes in flour before adding to batter. They were fairly evenly distributed in the cake. I also made a glaze with powder sugar, lemon juice and cream cheese and drizzled it over the top while it was warm! A definite keeper!!
Aug 6, 2015
Easy recipe and simple ingredient list! This recipe is nice if you are looking to make something in a 8x8 square baking dish. I cubed the cream cheese and leth it soften at room temp, and added after I mixed in the blueberries. Came out perfect at 40 mins.
Mar 13, 2015
Mine came out so dry. It was simple to assemble and it looked amazing! I don't know why it was so dry. It looks dry even when cut. :( Ideas?
Jan 23, 2015
Very, very good. I do think next time I may make more topping. I agree with those who said the cream cheese needs to be softened first. Maybe softening it in order to swirl it through might help. I did have some areas where there was no cream cheese at all. Still, though, this was a delicious coffee cake and I will make it again.
Jul 20, 2014
Was concerned about the bland comment below. Not bland at all. It is WONDERFUL! I like that you include the cream cheese at the end so the little morsels are in there like a treat. I made in a loaf pan.
Dec 17, 2013
This was a great recipe, easy and fast to make. I used 1/2 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of black berries instead of all blueberries.
Jun 11, 2013
was very good...I was hoping the cream cheese would have melted out a bit instead of staying in a chunk so I may soften it an mix it in next time but overall really really yummy