Crumb-Topped Blueberry Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- For batter, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Toss blueberries with remaining flour. Stir blueberries and cream cheese into creamed mixture (batter will be thick). Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 277 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 23, 2018
Love this recipe I have made this since first published. I add vanilla to the batter, use 1/3 less fat cream cheese and add freshly grated nutmeg to the topping - because I love nutmeg. This is one of my go to recipes if I can’t think of anything else.
Feb 3, 2018
I just made this!! It is Delicious!!! I Love ?? it!!! Turned out fabulous!!!! Highly recommend!!!
Jul 6, 2016
This was a nice quick dessert. I had a lot of fresh blueberries and wanted something different than a cobbler. Everyone loved this.
May 2, 2016
Made this for brunch yesterday-it was delicious! Everyone loved it. I doubled the crumb topping, and tossed the cream cheese cubes in flour before adding to batter. They were fairly evenly distributed in the cake. I also made a glaze with powder sugar, lemon juice and cream cheese and drizzled it over the top while it was warm! A definite keeper!!
Aug 6, 2015
Easy recipe and simple ingredient list! This recipe is nice if you are looking to make something in a 8x8 square baking dish. I cubed the cream cheese and leth it soften at room temp, and added after I mixed in the blueberries. Came out perfect at 40 mins.
Mar 13, 2015
Mine came out so dry. It was simple to assemble and it looked amazing! I don't know why it was so dry. It looks dry even when cut. :( Ideas?
Jan 23, 2015
Very, very good. I do think next time I may make more topping. I agree with those who said the cream cheese needs to be softened first. Maybe softening it in order to swirl it through might help. I did have some areas where there was no cream cheese at all. Still, though, this was a delicious coffee cake and I will make it again.
Jul 20, 2014
Was concerned about the bland comment below. Not bland at all. It is WONDERFUL! I like that you include the cream cheese at the end so the little morsels are in there like a treat. I made in a loaf pan.
Dec 17, 2013
This was a great recipe, easy and fast to make. I used 1/2 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of black berries instead of all blueberries.
Jun 11, 2013
was very good...I was hoping the cream cheese would have melted out a bit instead of staying in a chunk so I may soften it an mix it in next time but overall really really yummy