Crumble-Top Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon half of the batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with apple slices; spread with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 485 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Dec 5, 2012
This is a great recipes. I was wondering if it is possible to make this cake in a bundt pan. How would you put the crumbs on top? would you put the crumbs in the bundt pan then the batter and bake it?
Oct 27, 2012
Delightful! I added 2 tsp. of vanilla to wet ingredients and an extra apple. I also doubled the crumble topping, adding 1/3 of it ove the apple layer. Really moist and flavorful. Also, I used mixed nuts and used an extra 1/2 cup there baking for full 60 min. Definitely will be making this recipe again!
Mar 5, 2010
delicious! i would cream the sugar and butter with eggs at the same time...and also coat the apples in cinnamon sugar as the other user suggested. SO GOOD. definitely a keeper :)
Mar 2, 2009
I only wish I would've noticed this recipe before I made the Martha Stewart version of a coffee cake. About as blah as Martha's haircut! This sounds so much better!
Mar 2, 2009
Loved the texture and flavor of this coffee cake. I'd like to add more apples, but it almost overflowed my 13 x 9-inch baking pan as it is. We love cinnamon, so I sprinkled the apples with cinnamon and sugar and again over the top. I'll definitely make this one again!