Frosted Banana Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in the eggs, bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 202 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 5, 2020
These banana bars are amazing. Person who rated it a 2 must have messed it up by adding her own ingredients. Very flavorful. I could eat the whole pan. In fact I made these tonight and between me and hubby ,the pan is half gone. 5 stars all the way!!!
Feb 14, 2020
More like a flat sheet cake. Should have made cupcakes with frosting instead.... NOT bar like at all. I did know better to add some spices, otherwise it would have been a bland even though I added 4 large bananas. I also used 1/4 cup brown sugar in hopes it would add more depth... no chance... back to the family cookbook for me.
Jan 22, 2020
this pie looks marvellously delicious.
Nov 18, 2019
Made in a 13× 9 pan. Baked for 45 min. Added chopped pecans to the mix and over the frosted bars. Delicious as always.
Sep 13, 2019
This is a great recipe—about the only recipe I use for overripe bananas. I add walnuts or pecans and raisins. It freezes especially well. I cut it into bars first.
Sep 8, 2019
A friend made this for us, really good. Have a nice taste, texture and moist. These are great for family and friends also for a social pot luck.. There won't be any left for the next day.
Jul 6, 2019
This is my second review and it is still thee best banana bar recipe. You can use a 13" x 9" greased pan. Increase baking time to 35 minutes or until done. You only need half of the frosting recipe and it is the perfect amount for the 13" x9".
Oct 30, 2018
Wonderful - I'd give it 10 stars if I could! Having a hard time keeping my hands from snatching a piece every time I walk past the fridge.
Oct 23, 2018
Outstanding. I took this to a party, having never made it before, and it got rave reviews. I also baked it in a 13 x 9" pyrex pan and increased the cooking time somewhat, based on other reviewer suggestions. it came out great. I didn't have enough confectioner's sugar, so I reduced the butter and cream cheese somewhat, and added a little milk to help it spread better. It still came out delicious!
Oct 20, 2018
I absolutely love this recipe but I think it tastes even better if you replace the flour with Banana multi purpose flour by pereg. This banana flour is an amazing replacement for all sorts of recipes.