Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (21 ounces) blueberry pie filling
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture just until combined.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling; sprinkle with nutmeg. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 124 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 20, 2015
I made it for any nephew's return from boot camp. Everyone loved it, even his teenage friends. This one is A keeper!
Dec 10, 2014
I substituted strawberry pie filling, as I felt this would appeal to me and my family more, and it was a hit! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe! It is definitely a keeper :)
Aug 15, 2013
This is my go to recipe for potluck dessert. I have also used raspberry pie filling and it is better than the blueberry. If I can find blackberry pie filling I am going to try it with that!
Jan 24, 2012
Delicious The sweet taste of blueberry with just a little tang of lemon. I put the glaze in a zip loc bag and snip the corner off to drizzle it on the bars. I make it with homemade filling rather than canned. It's easy and yummy. 3/4 cup of sugar,1/4 cup of cornstarch,1/4 cup water, and 1 and 1/2 cups blueberry. Boil it all for a couple of minutes while stirring . When it turns thick and jelly like it's ready to use
Aug 22, 2011
Very good and several people asked me for the recipe!
Jul 25, 2011
I have made these bars many times and I have always added a few fresh blueberries to the pie filling, you get much more blueberry flavor and it is so good!!!!I
May 10, 2011
Rather than using a pie filling, I would like some input as to using fresh blueberries. How would I adjust the recipe for this?
Mar 30, 2011
Very tasty and simple to make. I have used many different types of pie filling and loved everyone.
Jun 15, 2010
I made this with blueberry pie filling the first time. The cake was a little too thick for the filling...so the 2nd time I made them, I reduced the baking powder to 1 1/2 tsp, omitted the nutmeg and changed the filling to strawberry. Awesome! Cake is moist and the lemon (more of a frosting than a glaze-have to spread it on the bars while warm) complimented the strawberry filling. Perfect for a snack or dessert. Have plans to make this again and use cherry pie filling next.
Apr 16, 2010
The cake looked a little dry in the picture, but it's actually a very light cake. It almost tastes like a blueberry muffin, but lighter and sweeter. It could pass for a brunch item, as well as a dessert.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.