Root Beer Cookies
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon root beer concentrate
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/4 teaspoons root beer concentrate or extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and root beer concentrate. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cookies.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick root beer concentrate.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 262 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 21, 2015
We didn't like these at all. They turned out quite bland, flat, and somehow doughy even though I kept them in the oven for a little over 12 minutes. Not sure what I did wrong, but with so many other delicious cookie recipes I've found on this site to make instead, I won't be giving these another try.
Jun 10, 2014
I've had root beer extract in my cupboard for some time & I'd only used it once. I will be using it more often in these yummy cookies!
Feb 28, 2014
really good and better next day
Jan 3, 2014
My family loves these cookies. The cookies themselves do not have much root beer flavor; you must use the icing. Plus, we actually doubled the root beer concentrate in the icing. People always think they are chocolate when we take them places, but soon discover the fun!
Dec 21, 2013
These were a very tasty and nice soft cookie. My only complaint was that the needed more root beer flavor.
Aug 10, 2010
My kids ADORE these cookies. Every time we take them somewhere people are skeptical about trying them but always come back for more.
Aug 10, 2009
Tasted like licorice to me but they have a great texture and were very easy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.