Blueberry Lattice Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; shape each into a 1-in.-thick rectangle. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place blueberries, sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Roll each portion of dough between two sheets of plastic wrap into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Place rectangles on separate baking sheets; freeze until firm, 5-10 minutes. Place one rectangle in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan, pressing onto bottom and about 1/2-in. up the sides. Add filling.
- Cut remaining rectangle into 1/2-in. strips; freeze 5-10 minutes to firm. Arrange strips over filling in crisscross fashion. If desired, press edges with a fork to seal strips. Bake until top crust is golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 233 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 20, 2017
Looks delicious! I am wondering if anyone has tried it with blackberries? I have tons this year and would love to find a new recipe to use them up!
Jun 27, 2017
Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits and these bars showcase blueberries very well!! Yum!
Mar 25, 2014
Pretty good recipe. I used frozen blueberries bc it's winter and they are cheaper but next time I will use fresh and tart blueberries and I think I'll have a better, stronger tasting bar.
Feb 16, 2013
I put some crunchy sugar crystals on the top! They looked so fancy!
Jun 4, 2012
Very good, cookie like dough. I rolled the dough out between two pieces of parchment, that made it much easier to handle. Would definitely make this again.
Nov 21, 2010
Lhad to keep the lattice top really cold or it broke as I tried to weave.
Apr 3, 2008
These sound wonderful! You could easily change the berries around.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.