Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- Coarse sugar or additional granulated sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca and salt. Add rhubarb and blueberries; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Transfer to crust. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 471 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 6, 2014
This has been my go-to fruit pie recipe every summer for the past several years. My dad requests it for his birthday instead of birthday cake!
May 1, 2014
Used strawberries instead of blueberries and added another tablespoon of tapioca. Really tasty.
Apr 30, 2014
I have made this pie many times and it's always a hit. My 3 kids all love it as well. Yummy recipe
Oct 31, 2013
I have made strawberry-rhubarb pies lots of times. I love this different combination. The blueberries and the rhubarb looked so pretty together.
May 22, 2013
I made this for the first time last year- 1 pie as the recipe is written and another pie with raspberries replacing half the blueberries. Both were big hits at several potlucks and picnics. Never got to bring any home for leftovers! I did add a bit of cinnamon to the filling the 2nd time around and thereafter.
Sep 17, 2011
I made this for my county fair and state fair and received a purple ribbon at both. I am now making two of these weekly for a local restaurant to serve. It really is easy as pie to make and I'm only 15.
Jun 28, 2011
I used a store bought crust and substituted cornstarch for the tapioca. Yummy!!!!
Jun 28, 2011
I made this the day my Taste of Home magazine came. I had blueberries to use and was wondering what to do with them. Plus I had rhubarb outside. This was perfect!
Jun 27, 2011
This was my first time cooking with rhubarb and it was definitely a hit! I also used a store bought crust, made the filling as directed. Yum!
Jun 26, 2011
First time making it was a little runny so I added a little extra tapioca the second time and it was perfect! Love it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. SO yummy!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.