White Chocolate Cranberry-Orange Bars
This is my take on my mother's recipe for chocolate chunk bars, which she made every Christmas Eve. Our family is scattered across the country now; making these reminds me of home. If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can use two sharp knifes or a potato masher. My mom makes this with semisweet chocolate chunks. —Erin Powell, Amarillo, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1-1/2 cups white baking chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides; grease foil. In a bowl, mix flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake until light golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, whisk together egg, milk, orange zest and extract until blended; stir in baking chips and cranberries. Spread evenly over crust. Bake until top is golden brown, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with foil, remove bars from pan. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Freeze option: Freeze cooled bars in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, thaw before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 214 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Orange Bars in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.