Cran-Orange Bran Muffins
With their pleasant orange-and-cranberry flavor, these moist muffins from Kera Bredin of Vancouver, British Columbia make a great lunch-box stuffer or after-school snack.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free plain yogurt
- 1-1/4 cups 100% bran cereal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- In a bowl, combine yogurt and cereal; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the orange juice, honey, butter, egg and orange zest into yogurt mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 161 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cran-Orange Bran Muffins in Taste of Home April/May 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.