Bacon-Gruyere Smashed Potatoes
Gruyere cheese, bacon, sweet onions and herbs take smashed potatoes to a whole new level of amazing. This loaded side dish is so rich and satisfying, it could almost be eaten on its own! — Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, halved
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 10 slices bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or white cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 40-50 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally and stirring in thyme during last 5 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a 6-qt stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Add milk and remaining butter, salt and pepper. Coarsely mash potatoes with a masher, leaving small chunks. Stir in bacon and onions; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese melts. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 205 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as “Smashed” New Potatoes with Caramelized Onion and Bacon in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.