SERVED WITH buttered noodles and some fruit, this delicious, satisfying "meal in one" is easy to prepare. The green of the squash remains true to color through the cooking process, so it's pretty on the plate. It's a favorite when I'm cooking for just the two of us. —Linda Gaido New Brighton, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 acorn squash (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the sausage, egg, brown sugar, garlic and bread crumbs.
- Spoon into squash halves; place in a small shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the stuffing reaches 165°.
Originally published as Sausage-Stuffed Squash in Reminisce Extra December 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.