Sausage-Stuffed Butternut Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat broiler. Cut squash lengthwise in half; discard seeds. Place squash in a large microwave-safe dish, cut side down; add 1/2 in. of water. Microwave, covered, on high until soft, 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Leaving 1/2-in.-thick shells, scoop pulp from squash and stir into sausage mixture. Place squash shells on a baking sheet; fill with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 4-5 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with pepper flakes. To serve, cut each half into two portions.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 325 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 587mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 12g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 18, 2019
Used turkey kielbasa instead of links
Oct 17, 2018
This worked well for a weeknight meal for my husband and me. The squash needs a bit more salt after it is scooped out and I put some buttered bread crumbs on top before baking.
Feb 4, 2018
My husband and I LOVED this! Had a hard time cutting the squash so I microwaved it for 5 minutes. Also, used spicy bulk sausage, otherwise followed recipe as written. It's a keeper!
Mar 28, 2017
Very good! I had to cook the squash a bit longer than the suggested time in order to get it cooked thoroughly - though I am sure that varies based on the size of the squash. I think this would also be great with acorn squash.