Sausage-Stuffed Butternut Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat broiler. Cut squash lengthwise in half; discard seeds. Place squash in a large microwave-safe dish, cut side down; add 1/2 in. of water. Microwave, covered, on high until soft, 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Leaving 1/2-in.-thick shells, scoop pulp from squash and stir into sausage mixture. Place squash shells on a baking sheet; fill with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 4-5 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with pepper flakes. To serve, cut each half into two portions.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 325 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 587mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 12g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 17, 2018
This worked well for a weeknight meal for my husband and me. The squash needs a bit more salt after it is scooped out and I put some buttered bread crumbs on top before baking.
Feb 4, 2018
My husband and I LOVED this! Had a hard time cutting the squash so I microwaved it for 5 minutes. Also, used spicy bulk sausage, otherwise followed recipe as written. It's a keeper!
Mar 28, 2017
Very good! I had to cook the squash a bit longer than the suggested time in order to get it cooked thoroughly - though I am sure that varies based on the size of the squash. I think this would also be great with acorn squash.