Sausage & Rice Stuffed Pumpkins
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3 small pie pumpkins (about 2 pounds each)
- 1/2 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 450°. Cut a 3-in. circle around each pumpkin stem. Remove tops and set aside. Remove strings and seeds from pumpkins; discard seeds or save for toasting.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, vegetables and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Remove from heat; stir in rice, 3/4 cup cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and thyme.
- Place pumpkins in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; fill with rice mixture. Replace pumpkin tops. Bake 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until pumpkin is tender when pierced with a knife and a thermometer inserted in filling reads 160°. Sprinkle remaining cheese over filling. Cut to serve.
Nutrition Facts1/4 pumpkin and 2/3 cup rice: 204 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 high-fat meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 18, 2018
I am making this today for a pumpkin pigin at work. The recipe calls to "Remove from heat; stir in rice, 3/4 cup cheese". However, cheese isn't in the ingredients. Can you please add this to the ingredients?