Sausage, Kale and Squash Bread Pudding
Who said bread pudding has to be for dessert? I love to serve this for brunch or dinner when I want something hearty and a little unusual. —Lauren Knoelke, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours.
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (about 1 pound), lightly toasted and cubed
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In same skillet, cook and stir onion over medium-low heat until just softened, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook until liquid is almost evaporated, 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sausage, bread, kale, squash, cheese and broth; toss to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, cream, thyme, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over bread mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until squash is tender, 3-4 hours. Serve warm.