Sausage, Kale and Squash Bread Pudding
Who said bread pudding has to be for dessert? I love to serve this for brunch or dinner when I want something hearty and a little unusual. —Lauren Knoelke, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours.
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (about 1 pound), lightly toasted and cubed
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In same skillet, cook and stir onion over medium-low heat until just softened, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook until liquid is almost evaporated, 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sausage, bread, kale, squash, cheese and broth; toss to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, cream, thyme, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over bread mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until squash is tender, 3-4 hours. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 495 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 1247mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Sausage and Squash Bread Pudding in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.